Monday, November 15, 2010

I Have No Skills

As I sit down to write my resume,
I try to think of words to say.
I have no skills, nothing to show,
no one would hire me, of this I'm sure.
I've done nothing with my life,
but be a business owner, mom and wife.

What have I done in all these years,
to help me land a new career?
I think and think, come up with nothing.
I try in vain to think of something.

I had a real job at one time.
I worked everyday from 9 to 5.
Airlines, hotels, car rentals I booked
"you got a flight?",   well, let me look.
But all that changed when I had my daughter,
Decided to work for myself, not another.

So work, work I did without hesitation,
I worked for her future, without much vacation.
The years came and went, with life much fullfilled.
I ran all my companies, even unskilled.

As so often happens, life stopped me dead.
My neatly-planned future got turned on its head.
Companies folded, marriage dissolved,
I find myself left, with nothing at all.
And so as I sit and I try to recall,
I guess I did nothing,.. nothing at all.

All that I've done,  really quite a bore,
is everyday stuff,  that one wouldn't care for.

Ive gotten the kids ready for school,
they've gotten there on time-cool!
I've then gone into my shop,
and been the one to do it all.

I answered phones and kept customers happy,
the books, the office, the warehouse,.. all snappy.
I organized deliveries, made sure they're on time.
and all special orders were all in a line.
And most times I actually made a delivery or two,
the ones that our driver was just too busy to do.
And on certain days, between certain stops,
I would have to go visit with my daughter's doc.
She has cancer,  they say, diagnosed at three.
and on certain days, she has chomotherapy.
Then when she's done, I resume my run,
and hope that my daughter can just hang on.
"Try not to throw up, honey, mommy's almost done!
pretty soon we'll be going home!"

Finally, the work day is all but over,
I head back to school to pick up my other daughter.
Then off to get groceries, gas, or whatever,
any errands that didn't get done any earlier.
Of course, once home the day is not over,
the cleaning, the cooking the laundry and more,
the garbage, the mowing, the landscaping,...all chores.
I did my best to do them all, and I did them, with no help at all.
but time after time, night time would  fall.
I'd crawl into bed, exhausted,... "amen!"
Only to wake, get up, and start it all over again.

So, in all these years, I've done nothing at all,
I have no real skills on which now to draw.
I've just been a business owner, wife, and a mom.
So, why hire me, when I have no skills?
Because, it turns out, I have a a strong will.

You give me a task, and it will get done.
I am my very own Army of one.
The task will probably not, to me, be new,
It's something I already know how to do.
But, if I don't know how to do it, I'll ask,
Just tell me once, I do learn fast.

So as I sit down to write my resume,
and I think of all the words I need to say.
I have many skills of which to choose,
How many pages can I use?

2 comments:

  1. You're a pretty clever poet, for starters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Strong willed? You?

    Great blog. Good writing =o).

    Hugs and prayers,
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete