Thursday, September 15, 2011

I Love Arizona

  • Somewhere between 112 and 117, it gets hot.
  • "South Mountain", is still called "South Mountain" even if you are to the south of it.
  • The highway system is THE highway system.  They refer to their highways as "THE" 101, or "THE" 202, as if there ARE no others, and if there are, they are NOT worth calling "THE".
  • HOLY CRAP!! DO NOT  JOKE ABOUT THE ASU / UofA RIVALRY,.... AND FOR GOD'S SAKE, DON'T MIX THEM UP!!
  • If you keep your A/C at 78, people think you're crazy for keeping your home so cold.
  • "South Mountain" is called a "mountain"  but it's really more like a huge pile of rocks. "South Huge Rock Pile" just didn't sound right, I guess.
  • Things have Spanish names, so they sound fancy, but if you know Spanish you realize that it's just what it is, ...except in Spanish.  Like, there is a tree that has green leaves and a green trunk, it's called "Palo Verde" or "green tree" in Spanish.  Come to think of it, "Montana del Sur" might have worked better for "South Mountain"
  • Many things can kill you here.  Snakes, scorpions, all sorts of spiders, carpenter bees, African killer bees, coyotes, a wild cat of some sort, and the always scary but lovable, senior citizen driver.... Don't start with me,  YOU know I'm right.  THE roads are nice and wide though, so you can give them a couple lanes.
  • When other vehicles cause you to drive down THE highway at 60mph instead of 70mph, it's called "traffic".
  • When you say you are from "Washington" you will be asked, "DC or state?"  to this you must answer "State". .... Unless you ARE from Washington DC, in which case, you really should be saying "I'm from Washington DC" from the beginning, thus eliminating the need to ask "DC or State", ....come to think of it..... IDK why they ask......
  • Canada jokes are met with confused looks.
  • I was almost eaten by a sewer roach.
  • Someday I hope to head west on THE 60 and see what kind of rocks they have at "South Mountain". I bet they'll have "piedra blanca", "piedra roja", the illusive "piedra negra", and maybe even some "piedra grande"!

3 comments:

  1. LOL I think only Ted thinks your crazy if you keep the A/C at 78. He got mad at me once, when I was staying with him, because I put it below 80.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You make me laugh! I hope to never find out these things for myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. George Strait said it best when he sang, "She had the windows rolled down and her sleeves rolled up.....Ohhhhhhhh, how bout them Cowgirls! Everyone request that song today from your favorite Arizona country station: How bout them cowgirls!

    ReplyDelete